Complaints Policy & Procedures

Complaints Policy & Procedures


Abergavenny Town Council is committed to providing a quality service for the benefit of the people who live or work in its area or are visitors to the locality. Dissatisfaction with the standard of service received from this council or unhappiness about an action or lack of action by this council, will be dealt with under this Complaints Procedure. It sets out how complaints will be made and how they will be resolved.


2.1      This Complaints Procedure applies to complaints about council administration and procedures and may include complaints about how the council has dealt with concerns.

2.2      This Complaints Procedure does not apply to:

  • complaints by one council employee against another council employee, or between the council as employer and a council employee. These matters are dealt with under the councilís disciplinary and grievance procedures. If your complaint relates to an individual employee, it will be taken seriously and dealt with appropriately.
  • complaints against councillors. Complaints against councillors are covered by the Code of Conduct for Members adopted by the Town Council. If a complaint against a councillor is received by the Town Council, it will be referred to the Monitoring Officer of Monmouthshire County Council.

2.3      Complaints about the councilís procedures or administration will be made to the Town Clerk.  This can be done in person, by phone, or by writing to, or emailing the Town Clerk. The addresses and numbers are set out below.

2.4 The Town Clerk will acknowledge the complaint within five working days. Wherever possible, the Town Clerk will try to resolve a complaint within a further 10 working days. If the matter cannot be dealt with within these specified timescales there will be an explanation and an indicative time by which a response will be made.

2.5      If a complaint is about the Town Clerk it will be made to the Mayor. The Mayor will arrange for the complaint to be investigated by a senior officer from another council or, if it is appropriate, will appoint an independent investigating officer.

2.6      The Town Clerk or investigating officer (as appropriate) will investigate each complaint, contacting the complainant to obtain further information as necessary as well as obtaining information from employees or members of the council and seeking advice from MCC Monitoring Officer as appropriate.

2.7      The Town Clerk or investigating officer will normally notify the complainant within 20 working days of the outcome of the complaint and of what action (if any) the council proposes to take as a result. In exceptional cases the 20 working days timescale may have to be extended. If it is, the complainant will be kept fully informed of the reasons for the delay.

2.8      If the complainant remains dissatisfied with the response to their complaint, they may ask for the complaint to be referred to the Mayor for review. When reviewing the complaint, the Mayor will convene a Complaints Panel (see 2.11).

2.9      When a Complaints Panel is convened, the complainant will be invited to attend, explain the complaint and ask questions. The Town Clerk or investigating officer will respond and explain the reasons for reaching the decision taken. They may also question the complainant. Members of the Complaints Panel may ask questions of the Town Clerk/investigating officer and/or the complainant. The complainant will have the final word and both parties will be asked to withdraw while the Panel makes a decision.

2.10    A decision will be made by the Complaints Panel and the outcome of the review and of what action (if any) the council proposes to take as a result of the complaint will be notified to the complainant by the Mayor, verbally at the conclusion of the Panel Meeting or in writing within seven working days.

2.11    The Complaints Panel will consist of the Mayor, another councillor and an independent person.  The councillor will be appointed at the AGM.

2.12    Where a complaint is upheld the Town Clerk should report, to a subsequent meeting of Council, the action taken to ensure that the same mistake does not recur.

In the first instance, all complaints should be directed to the Town Clerk who is the councilís proper officer at the address below.

Town Hall

Cross Street


NP7 5HD †††††††††††††††††

Telephone number: 01873 735820