Minutes of the Events Committee held on Wednesday 21st March 2018, Mayor’s Parlour, Town Hall, Abergavenny
Present: Cllr D Simcock (Chair for this meeting)
Cllr P Simcock
Cllr T Konieczny
In attendance J Lee (Town Clerk)
Apologies were received from Cllr M Hickman
- Declarations of Interest
No declarations of interest
- Election of Chair
Cllr T Konieczny volunteered to Chair this Committee subject to a resolution from Council
- Terms of Reference
The Town Clerk informed the Committee that the last Events Committee met in 2013 and included representatives from external organisations involved in arranging events in the town.
Draft terms of reference for the reconstituted Events Committee were discussed as follows:
At least 6 Councillors. Suggested Councillors based on previous indication of interest – Cllr T Konieczny, Cllr D Simcock, Cllr P Simcock, Cllr M Hickman, Cllr S Dodd, Cllr T Davies (as Mayor Elect).
Chair: Cllr T Konieczny
Quorate would be 50%
The Committee would be able to invite representatives from external organisations on to the Committee for a time limited period for specific events/issues.
Frequency of meetings
Every two months with the next meeting 25th April
The Events Committee would report to Full Council
Aims & Objectives
The aim of the Committee is to organise a programme of events running throughout the year with appeal to all ages. The events would be both civic and cultural.
The objectives are to:
- Plan Council events for the year incorporating any one-off events
- Raise awareness of the Council events
- Reinforce the civic role of the Town Council
- Co-ordinate planning of Council events to avoid duplication with other events
- Improve forward financial planning and effective procurement
- Engage with the community
- Develop partnerships for joint delivery
- Plan publicity to maximise awareness in the community
- Engender civic pride through engagement with community events
- Planned Events 2018
Dates of Town Council Events
- Saturday 21st April – Abergavenny Eisteddfod, KHS. All Councillors welcome, Deputy Mayor to present prizes
- Saturday 5th May – Mons Day (late afternoon) All encouraged to attend
- Tuesday 15th May – Mayoral Installation. All to attend
- Civic Service – June/early July – date to be confirmed
- Abergavenny in Bloom – Awards Evening – date to be confirmed
- Sunday 11th November – Remembrance Sunday and 7pm lighting of a Beacon on the Blorenge as part of the Battle’s Over tribute
- Saturday 24th November – Christmas Lights Switch On
6, New Events
Summer Concerts/Events to be arranged on Sundays during late June/July. Previous years three concerts were held.
ACTION: Council to confirm budget of £400 for each event
One concert to be the Borough Band, further investigation required as to whether the Bailey Park bandstand can be used.
ACTION: JL to contact the Borough Band to discuss a date
The KHS Orchestra may be interested in giving a concert.
ACTION: Cllr P Simcock to discuss with KHS
In 2018, two additional events to be organised to commemorate Votes for Women (late October) and End of WW1.
Cllr P Simcock volunteered to explore a possible Votes for Women event and report back to a future meeting.
ACTION: Cllr P Simcock to report to the next Events Committee on an appropriate Votes for Women event
The Town Clerk informed the Committee that the Town Council has agreed to take part in the Battle’s Over tribute with a lighting of a Beacon on the Blorenge at 7pm on 11th November.
Following discussion, it was proposed that a Poppies Yarnbombing event (Red & White Poppies) may be well received in the town as it would encourage community/individual involvement from all ages.
The Committee should find out if the Royal British Legion and others are planning any events.
ACTION: JL to contact Ron Olliver to find out about RBL events and discuss Town Council proposals
|To confirm budget of £400 for each event||Council|
|Contact the Borough Band to discuss a date for summer concert||JL|
|Contact KHS to discuss summer concert||Cllr P Simcock|
|To report to the next Events Committee on an appropriate Votes for Women event||Cllr P Simcock|
|Contact Ron Olliver to find out about RBL events and discuss Town Council proposals||JL|