Minutes of the Projects Committee held on Wednesday 17h April 2019 at 7pm in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Abergavenny

Present:

Chairman –    Cllr T Davies  

Cllr M Harris

Cllr M Groucutt

Cllr D Simcock

Cllr P Simcock

Cllr T Konieczny

In attendance:

J Lee (Town Clerk)

Apologies

Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs M Hickman, S Dodd, R Harris, T Thomas, Van de Vyver, Tatam, Jones
Declarations of Interest

None
Presentation from Marcia Burford regarding a mental health support project for young people

Marcia Burford provided details on the Wellbeing Lifeboat Project which is service to support adults with mental health issues including counselling. The project operates from Mardy Park, Monday 6-9pm and has been running for 3 years. The project is currently funded by Monmouthshire Housing Association. Marcia provided a handout giving more details of the project.

Through this project, Marcia has become aware of a lack of support for young people with mental health problems and is keen to explore this further. Initially this will include organising an awareness day and inviting other providers/interested parties with the aim of finding out what provision currently exists. Marcia requested a small amount of funding to enable this to happen. A small grants application form to be forwarded to Marcia and considered by Finance Committee on 1st May.

A request was made for Marcia to report back on the outcome of the awareness day.

The Mayor thanked Marcia for her presentation.
Town Centre Planting Scheme

The report setting out the planting as part of the different phases of the public realm scheme were discussed including the proposals for the planters as part of Phase 3.

As a result of discussions, it was recommended:

To agree that ATC take on the ongoing maintenance of Phase 1 planters.To agree to purchase reservoirs for Phase 1 & 2 at a cost of 559.80 plus delivery and for this to be allocated to the Abergavenny in Bloom budget. To agree that 4 Amberol blue planters WILL NOT be purchased this year and to allow this funding to be used to purchase 2 planters in keeping with Phase 3.To agree to take on the ongoing maintenance of Phase 2 commencing in 2020/21To agree to take on the ongoing maintenance of Phase 3 commencing in 2020/21
To discuss potential changes to the Annual Report format

Suggestions included:

Map of wards Photo of each councillor More information on what Council will do in future years Colour scheme to be different to distinguish it from 2017/18 report To include Refill logo and Town of Sanctuary Reference longer term partnership arrangements Reference to Youth Community Award
To consider the draft partnership agreement with Abergavenny Food Festival

The draft agreement was discussed and there was general support for the document although more information is sought on the Youth Ambassador Scheme. Councillors also agreed that a councillor should sit on the Food Festival board.

The Town Clerk was requested to obtain the additional information from the Chief Executive of the Food Festival and then take the amended agreement to Council.
Possible Extension to the Skate Park

Cllr Davies reported that she had met with young people at the Skate park who would like an additional facility for beginners within the boundaries of the skate park.

All agreed that the Town Council should support this and Cllr Davies & Cllr Groucutt will liaise and take this forward. Cllr Groucutt will also find out more about the plans the Youth Service have to use buildings by the Skate Park.
Promotion of Refill Abergavenny 2019

A programme of promotion for Refill Abergavenny was discussed and it was recommended that:

Councillors that are governors approach their schools for a presence at the school fete and take responsibility for setting up, manning the stall and finding volunteers.

Councillors involved with other organisations that arrange events/festivals are to seek a presence at appropriate events

More Refill stations need to be signed up.

Councillors encouraged to help officers

Facebook page to be set up

Refill promotional materials to be collated and available in a box to take to events

Meeting closed at 8.50pm

RECOMMENDATIONS

To agree that ATC take on the ongoing maintenance of Phase 1 planters.

To agree to purchase reservoirs for Phase 1 & 2

To agree that 4 Amberol blue planters WILL NOT be purchased this year and to allow this funding to be used to purchase 2 planters in keeping with Phase 3.

To agree to take on the ongoing maintenance of Phase 2 commencing in 2020/21

To agree to take on the ongoing maintenance of Phase 3 commencing in 2020/21