Beth Rydym yn Ei Wneud What We Do
As a Local Council, Abergavenny Town Council has an overall responsibility for the wellbeing of the local community. We do this by:
- Paying for litter picking and street cleaning in the centre and outlying areas in the town
- Paying Monmouthshire County Council so that the public toilets in the town remain open and that the toilets in Bailey Park are open at weekends.
- Paying for the dog waste bins and their weekly emptying
- Providing the Christmas lights in the town and the switch-on event
- Paying for CCTV in the town
- Management and maintenance of hanging baskets and other floral displays around the town (Abergavenny in Bloom)
- Financial support to ensure that the town has a Tourist Information Centre
- Financial support to local events and festivals
- Organising a number of free events in the town during the year.
- Providing grants to local groups.
The Town Councillors hold regular meetings to make decisions on a range of different matters. All meetings are open to the public and members of the public can address Councillors at these meetings. For more information contact the Town Clerk.
From September 2019 there will be changes to how the Council operates with the setting up of new committees who will be responsible for taking forward different parts of the strategy and action plan. The Committees will be:
All Councillors are part of Full Council
Policy & Resources Committee
All Councillors are part of this Committee. The Chair is Councillor Martyn Groucutt
People & Communities Committee
Ten Councillors make up this Committee. The Chair is Councillor Teslin Davies
Ten Councillors make up this Committee. The Chair is Councillor Tony Konieczny
More information about what these different committees can do is in the Scheme of Delegation in the Documents section and details of future meeting dates and what will be discussed can be found in the Meetings section of the website.